However, I am not made of money so unless I have to, I refuse to check a bag. That means I travel light and pack strategically. Also, I kind of have a shopping problem and like to leave room in my bag for new discoveries. Over the years I have learned that whether I’m driving or flying, going abroad or staying domestic, these are the things I have to carry with me:
1. My Kindle. I’m restless and can’t sit still for long. I also read very quickly, so the compact e-reader has quickly freed up the space that the 4 or 5 books used to take up.
2. My Camera. I just got a DSLR a few months back and I am hooked. I pop my camera bag into my book bag with my purse & Kindle and that’s my personal item on the plane.
3. Sunglasses. Doesn’t matter where I go, sunglasses are necessary. Plus they cover up when I am blinking in pics.
4. My phone. Kind of a “duh” but having a smartphone saves money on things like GPS. Plus Yelp & Tripadvisor are great for discovering off-the-beaten-path restaurants.
5. Comfy shoes. El Hombre will vouch for this. If you travel with me, expect to get dragged all over whatever city it is. Walking burns off the massive amounts of food I eat and gives opportunities to take pictures and discover interesting things you would miss by taking subways, taxis, etc.
What can you absolutely not live without when you are away on vacation?